In order to enhance their leading position in the flexible insulation market, Armacell GMbH wanted to know if their materials are suitable for use in the commercially desirable, but technically demanding LNG market.
They approached the RIfI with the aim of testing their materials against the current industry specifications for this new market area.
- RIfI was commissioned to conduct a series of tests to determine the material behaviour of a suite of Armacell materials according to industry standard low temperature tests.
- RIfI are experts in testing to these standards but the Armacell products necessitated some novel testing approaches.
- A programme of mechanical (tensile and compression) and Thermal (Expansivity and Conductivity) testing was designed and carried out.
What we did
- Evaluated material performance employing a range of different mechanical and thermal tests for the Armacell products.
- Delivered a qualitative and quantitative comparison of the candidate materials to the LNG industry.
- Armacell now have datasheets for their materials in the temperature ranges.
- This work has allowed Armacell to approach large multi-national companies in the Oil and Gas Sector for new business.
- Due to the favourable impression on the clients prospective new customers, RIfI is continuing to work with Armacell on other aspects.